Man, do I love these tasty treats. I don't have a KFC near my house so I've found out how to make them at home anytime I feel the need to feed my craving for twisters.
KFC COPYCAT RECIPE
- chicken breast strips (I just grab some ready to eat cooked chicken tenders from the deli if I want crunchy or I pickup a whole roasted chicken and make slices for an oven roasted twister.) The leftovers are always good for another meal.
- wraps - flour tortillas (I like the flavored gourmet versions usually found near the deli)
- lettuce, shredded very thin
- tomato, diced
- pepper mayonnaise
Pepper Mayonnaise Sauce:
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
Sauce: Mix all the ingredients together or you can also just add pepper to bottle Ranch salad dressing.
Wrap: Microwave your tortilla for about a minute to make it easier to fold. Cover the tortilla with the mayo sauce. Lay a whole chicken tender on top of tortilla. (If the are small line up 2 end to end lengthwise. Add lettuce and tomato and more mayo sauce. Fold like a burrito and eat. If you want to kick it up a notch or two sprinkle on Tabasco or add salsa before rolling.
KFC uses a double-sided sandwich press that heats the Toasted Wrap top and bottom and leaves those highly desired grill marks on the tortilla. The press puts a light crunch outside while creating a gooey, stretchy cheesy texture inside. You can do this at home with a George Foreman Grill.
The toasted wrap comes in three varieties of chicken (see sidebar for recipes):
- Toasted Wrap with Crispy Strip
- Toasted Wrap with Tender Roast Fillet
- Toasted Wrap with Grilled Fillet
To make them at home follow the same directions as above just omit the tomatoes and add your favorite kind of shredded cheese.